Founded in 1828, the town of Brandon was named after the first native Mississippi governor, Gerard Chittocque Brandon. Brandon has grown from a 40-acre tract town to an over 26-square-mile city. The City of Brandon now has over 23,000 residents. Her residents enjoy large-city amenities while not losing the small-town charm. Brandon is home to one of the only night-time Christmas Parades that rolls through the heart of the historic square.